About UsAll you need to know about BASA
Passion for the profession executed with Integrity, Trustworthiness, Transparency, Respect and Consistency
The Biokinetics Association of South Africa (BASA) is a professional body registered as a Section 21 company (Non Profit Organisation ) representing approximately 1100 practitioners in South Africa.
BASA Structure, Board, Executive Management and Committees …
- BASA Structure 2013
- Advisory Council
- Portfolio's - Scope
- The Mission of BASA
- The Vision of BASA
- BASA Constitution
ADVISORY COUNCIL - Scope and Responsibilities
- Advisory Council and chairman to be appointed by BASA Board
- To debate topical issues considered relevant to BASA and the profession of Biokinetics, conclusions of which to be made available to the Board.
- To alert the Board of micro and macro environmental issues deemed to be significant to BASA and/or the profession of Biokinetics
- To draft and submit to the Board recommendations and proposals on issues facing BASA and/or the profession of Biokinetics
- To meet at least twice per annum
- To submit comprehensive minutes of the proceedings of Council meetings to the BASA Board within fourteen days of each Council meeting.
PORTFOLIO SCOPE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
PORTFOLIO : ACADEMIA / EDUCATION & RESEARCH
- To ensure desired content within curricula of academic institutions across spectrum of relevant health care disciplines.
- To establish relationships with academic institutions.
- To develop an annual CPD program with proposed budgets.
- To liaise closely with marketing director to ensure appropriate educational content incorporated within publicity material.
- To ensure slots at conferences, congresses, CPD events of relevant health care disciplines.
- To establish pool of credible speakers.
- To establish pool of expertise to address queries from public, health care providers, medical schemes, government etc.
- Present report to board on monthly basis
PORTFOLIO : CPD
- To develop an annual CPD Program with proposed budgets
- To liaise closely with marketing director to ensure appropriate awareness of CPD activities within the regions and nationally
- To ensure CPD activities at regional level
- To assist with online events calendar and training centre
- To establish and manage sponsorship for CPD activities on regional and national level
- To established CPD activities for bi-annual road shows for EXCO
- To assist with LTMC committee with CPD activity for LTM Conference biannually.
- To educate identified target audience regarding the importance of physical activity within SA healthcare through CPD activities
- To promote higher levels of physical activity within the SA population of all ages and conditions, men and women, in all life settings (See Annual Global Move for Health Initiative) through CPD activity
PORTFOLIO : ETHICS
- To lead, direct and chair the Ethics Committee.
- To ensure Board updated with all legislative and ethics related matters of relevance.
- To champion the BASA Policies and Procedures including Code of Ethics (recognised expert).
- To act as primary contact regarding Ethics related matters.
- To advise Board on Ethics related issues.
- To report to Board on quarterly basis.
PORTFOLIO : HEALTH PROMOTION
- Health promotion is the process of enabling people to increase control over, and to improve, their health. It moves beyond a focus on individual behaviour towards a wide range of social and environmental interventions. (WHO)
- To formulate a Health Promotion Plan on an annual basis aimed at all stakeholders in SA to include, but not restricted to Government, Public, Wellness Centres and Medical Schemes and Administrators
- To educate identified target audience regarding the importance of physical activity within SA healthcare
- To promote higher levels of physical activity within the SA population of all ages and conditions, men and women, in all life settings (See Annual Global Move for Health Initiative).
PORTFOLIO : MARKETING
- To develop annual marketing plan with proposed budgets
- To determine all communication strategies
- To ensure comprehensive public relations and publicity plan, as extension of marketing plan.
- To ensure effective communication, internally and externally
- To ensure implementation of marketing strategy
- To be responsible for BASA ‘corporate ‘identity and image
- To present report to board on monthly basis
- To chair marketing committee, if any
- To ensure all marketing activities comply with HPCSA Ethical Rules
PORTFOLIO : ORGANISATIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND STRATEGY
- To drive strategic planning processes for BASA on an annual basis to ensure coherent direction to accommodate an anticipated future for the profession of Biokinetics and the BASA organization, in the short, medium and long terms. The strategy planning process to take the form of at least a three year and one year plan, to be reviewed annually.
- To ensure implementation of strategic plans in accordance with formulated strategies in collaboration with the BASA Board and management.
- To ensure the appropriate deployment of all resources (human, finances) in accordance with agreed strategic direction for BASA.
- To ensure the adherence of BASA to legislative changes or interventions which may occur from time to time
- To ensure that the BASA board is well informed of all developments, trends, anticipated interventions, etc., which have the potential to impact on the profession of Biokinetics and BASA.
- In essence to assume responsibility for ensuring a clearly defined role of Biokinetics within the SA Public Health system.
PORTFOLIO : PRACTICE MANAGEMENT
- To update and maintain BASA coding structures to facilitate medical aid claims by Biokineticists.
- To update and maintain ICD-10 codes in accordance with existing legislation.
- To assist effective management of scope implementation within a practice
- To assist in regards the setup of practices and the regulations there off
- To establish a relationship with IOD and manage claims processes
- To participate in all forums related to coding structures and tariff design in accordance with existing legislation, namely Competition Act.
- To institute advocacy activities at the level of medical schemes and administrators to ensure the best interests of Biokinetics are accommodated. This includes the establishment of mutually beneficial relationships with key stakeholders.
- To work with all regions to ensure the PM strategy been implemented accordingly.
- To assist with ethical queries related to effective Practice Management
- To set up workshops related to effective practise management
- To understand the Labour Law and related issues that could affect a Practise.
- To formulate a Health Promotion Plan on an annual basis aimed at all stakeholders in SA to include, but not restricted to (a) Wellness Centres (b) Medical Schemes and Administrators.
PORTFOLIO : PUBLIC SECTOR
- To ensure familiarisation with and understanding of the public sector on behalf of BASA in terms of hierarchy and infrastructure , key stakeholders on personalized basis, protocols and policies , key issues
- To pursue relationships at all levels of the public sector to ensure the desired provision of Biokinetics services, whether on the basis of
- Private Sector/Private Sector Partnerships ( PPP’s )
- In-sourcing of Biokinetics services
- Outsourcing of Biokinetics services
- Public Sector Posts
- To institute advocacy activities at public sector level to ensure that the role of Biokinetics is recognized as an important force within SA Healthcare. The advocacy programs to include assurances that Biokinetics services are incorporated within the public sector at appropriate levels of remuneration.
Our Mission ...
Is to “facilitate the enhancement and development of the science of Biokinetics worldwide."
The BASA objectives include:
- To plan strategically to achieve the enhancement and development of Biokinetic care by Biokineticists in Southern Africa.
- To promote high standards of education and practice by Biokineticists locally and internationally.
- To unite and co-ordinate the profession, locally and internationally.
- To generally support aid programs directed at the provision of Biokinetic care to societies in need.
- To promote the advancement of the science of Biokinetics for the benefit of mankind.
The Vision of BASA
A Recognised, established and effective representative body (force) within the areas of health, sport, recreation and education.
- Representative of Profession and Members
- Providing Guidance and Leadership